G 110 – Navigating the NEC
This is an independent study course. It is available all year long.
This six-hour online course introduces learners to the National Electrical Code (NEC). Designed for first-time users and beginning or non-electricians, this course explores the layout, format, and language of the Code. Participants will become familiar with the contents of the NEC by exploring Chapters, Articles, and Tables, and will learn how to effectively navigate the NEC.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the purpose and scope of the NEC
- Explain the history of the Code and its current publishing cycle
- Identify where state and local codes are used in conjunction with the NEC
- Analyze the layout of the Code using the Table of Contents and NEC Style Manual
- Define terms used throughout the NEC in Article 100
- Translate and interpret general Code rules, language, and intent in Chapters 1-4
- Recognize Exceptions and Informational Notes
- Execute searches for Articles and Tables using the Index
- Calculate conductor ampacity and size using Tables in Chapters 3 and 9
- Determine conduit fill limits using Chapter 9 and Annex C
- Assess overcurrent protection and grounding requirements for electrical circuits in Chapter 2
Computer with Internet access.