PV 230 – Battery-Based PV System Design
Syllabus for PV 230 – Battery-Based PV System Design
Price: $125 – $145
MREA members always pay less for courses. Learn more about the benefits of being a member.
Prerequisites: Basic Photovoltaics (PV 101) & PV System Design (PV 202) or equivalent training, or NABCEP Certification.
This self-paced, online course uses a combination of recorded presentations, resources, assignments, quizzes, and live webinars to cover battery-based PV system components, from modules and array configurations to batteries, charge controllers, and inverters.
Participants will review design principles for sizing battery-based PV systems, beginning with a thorough analysis of daily loads. Based on those load requirements, choices for system voltage and amp-hour capacity of the battery bank will be discussed and determined. Finally, participants will select appropriate system components and configure them to complete the stand-alone PV system.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Calculate daily loads to be served by battery-based PV system
- Recognize surge currents of loads
- Size battery bank to meet daily loads, days of autonomy, and depth of discharge
- Determine system voltage and battery bank amp-hour capacity requirements
- Identify available battery options and select appropriate batteries for a PV system
- Recognize containment and ventilation requirements for batteries in a PV system
- Calculate the solar resource for the site
- Size the PV array required to keep the battery bank healthy
- Identify PV module options
- Select PV modules to build array
- Identify available charge controller options
- Select appropriate charge controller for a battery-based PV system
- Identify available inverter options
- Select appropriate inverter for a battery-based PV system
Computer with Internet access