PV 240 – PV System Operations & Maintenance
Syllabus for PV 240 – PV System Operations & Maintenance
Price: $125 – $145
MREA members always pay less for courses. Learn more about the benefits of being a member.
Prerequisites: Basic Photovoltaics (PV 101) & PV System Design (PV 202) or equivalent training, or NABCEP Certification.
This four-hour, online course is designed to provide current and aspiring technicians an understanding of the periodic maintenance required to ensure optimal energy production over the lifetime of a solar electric (PV) system. Participants will review the components in a PV system, learn what’s expected in a six- and twelve-month checkup, and explore tools that can be used to find existing and potential problem areas through a combination of recorded presentations, resources, quizzes, and live review sessions.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the balance of system (BOS) components found in a PV system
- Recognize common PV system malfunctions
- Identify potential obstructions to the solar window
- Calculate for voltage rise and drop with changes in ambient temperature, using the NEC and manufacturer specifications
- Describe the necessary steps for performing a six-month inspection and checkup
- Identify equipment required for taking safe and accurate field measurements
- Analyze infrared scans to find hot spots
- Examine I-V curves and data tables to find performance and production issues like passing clouds, frost, shading, low irradiance, and lightning damage
- Describe the necessary steps for performing a one-year inspection and checkup
- Plan for replacement parts and warranty issues
Computer with Internet access and speakers