PV 430 – Intro to System Advisor Model (SAM)
Syllabus for PV 430 – Intro to System Advisor Model (SAM)
Price: $135 – $155
MREA members always pay less for courses. Learn more about the benefits of being a member.
Prerequisites: Basic Photovoltaics (PV 101), or equivalent, or NABCEP PV Associate or certification
This five-hour course introduces students to System Advisor Model (SAM). SAM is a free software for techno-economic modeling of renewable energy projects provided by the U.S. Department of Energy National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and is used by project developers, system designers, researchers, and others involved in making technical and financial decisions about renewable energy projects. Participants will work through examples of a residential/commercial rooftop photovoltaic system and cover assumptions for system design, retail electricity rates, and building loads, and analyze model results such as performance ratio, net present value, and payback period.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Create a new SAM project
- Create a case in SAM
- Describe the difference between a SAM performance model and financial model
- Assign values to inputs for a rooftop photovoltaic system in SAM
- Run a SAM simulation and interpret performance model results
- Create a SAM case for a residential rooftop photovoltaic system
- Assign values to cost and financial inputs in SAM
- Define a building electric load and electricity rate structure in SAM
- Run a SAM simulation and interpret financial model results