Winter Tips for Electric Vehicles
Cold weather and poor driving conditions can adversely affect any automobile but there are some things an EV owner should know before hitting the road this winter. Here are some tips for keeping your EV healthy through the winter season.
-By Leon Dulak, MREA Site Manager
Maximize Cold Weather Battery Life By:
- Keeping your vehicle plugged in even when the battery is full. Your vehicles charging system will keep the battery at an optimum temperature and state of charge.
- Start your vehicle before departure while it’s plugged in to a power source. The vehicle will draw power from the grid instead of the battery to warm the cabin.
- Turn the cabin heat down on the road and utilize heated accessories like the seats and steering wheel. It’s much easier to heat your chair and fingers than the entire cabin.
- Remove as much snow and ice as possible to reduce water weight and aerodynamic drag.
Winter EV Safety:
- Be sure to remove the snow and ice from the hood. An EV engine doesn’t heat the hood so the snow won’t melt. While driving the snow and ice could fly off resulting in distraction and loss of visibility for you and the person tailgating behind.
- Be gentle when accelerating and regenerative braking. I know you love that torque and immediate acceleration but that will translate to losing control especially when accelerating through a corner. Remember that the engine will slow you down quickly and on an icy snow-covered road that could cause you to lose control.
- Have a roadside emergency kit that includes; wool blanket, flashlight, handwarmers, winter hat and gloves.
- Finally, carry a bag of sand and small shovel. The sand will help with traction and can be put on the road if you get stuck. Most EV’s have a low ride height to help with aerodynamics. However, this can lead to bottoming out in deeper snow and becoming stuck.
EV Charging at MREA in Custer, WI!
Swing by our headquarters in Custer, WI and get charged up with the help of one of our solar-powered charging stations!
Please consider showcasing your EV in the Clean Transportation Show during The 31st Annual Energy Fair in Custer, WI, June 26-28. Contact or call us at 715-592-6595 for more information.