It all started in 1990…
Like many good things, the idea for The Energy Fair began in the kitchen after reading a call to action by Richard Perez in Home Power Magazine. Now in its 29th year, the Fair brings over 13,000 people together to learn about renewable energy and sustainable living, and connect with others to build a sustainable, people-powered future that runs on clean energy.
Whether you are a sustainability expert or just getting started, The Energy Fair has something to offer you, and you have something to offer The Energy Fair!
Education is at the heart of the Fair, and our 250 workshops are sure to intrigue and inspire you. Introductory workshops are available for the novice, and solar professionals looking to advance or maintain their credentials will benefit from our Continuing Education Credits and product trainings. We also partner with the Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education to offer educators a for-credit course.
It takes all walks of life and diverse perspectives to realize sustainable change. For an idea to permeate and take hold, both education and community involvement are vitally needed. The Energy Fair offers the educational component, and you are the community, the person who will make sustainable change in your own life and at a community level. Your role is important and The Energy Fair is only as powerful as the people who attend. You, along with our many awesome contributors keep the Fair strong and able to offer an educational jubilee of all things sustainable.
Each year, our surveys say the number one way people hear about the Fair is word of mouth, so if you love The Energy Fair, talk with your neighbors and friends and distribute some Energy Fair posters or postcards.
Here are some highlights we are excited to share with you this year:
- Workshop tracks and featured speakers in each of our topical categories
- Tiny Home Alley where you can talk to the owners/builders
- MREA’s new solar carport and advanced training lab (installation in May)
- Keynote speakers Jeremy Scahill, Jonathan Reinbold, Lily Raff McCaulou, Michael Perry and documentary screening: Solar Roots—The Pioneers of PV with Filmmaker Jeff Spies
- Musical entertainment from People Brothers Band and GGOOLLDD on the human powered main stage!
Allison Lindquist, MREA Events Director